Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Holla Back

so right now i am currently costuming one of my favorite musicals, "Little Shop of Horrors" for the Atlanta Lyric. This show has been such a blast for me. I honestly feel very blessed that i have gotten to do this oppurtunity. It has been so fun creating the look for this show, and watching my ideas come to life. Anyone who knows me, knows how much i love clothes, and how important personal style is. I live to dress people, i live to give my opinion on what someone is wearing, i love to take clothing risks, and go for the bold choice. So this oppurunity has been great. the last couple weeks though i have felt a bit over my head, i have felt a bit tired, and like i just can't get it quite right. it's been tough for me, and i have second guessed alot of my ideas, and choices (partially because Little Shop is a classic!) I have had massive doubts about all of my creative enterprises, and defiantly felt like a little fish in a big pond (more like ocean!) Sometimes i want to crawl back into the hole that was California. life would be so easy. But i keep going, and on monday i was out shopping for Little Shop. I went to Loemans, to pick up a cardigan i had seen a couple weeks ago that i felt was just perfect for Audrey. They had it, and in two sizes both of which would fit the girl playing Audrey. When i shop i always ask a second opinion, even if its a stranger, i always ask for a second opinion. I figured the larger size would fit best, but i wanted to make sure so i scanned the floor, and there was a tall slender, and fashionably dressed african american woman close by. i walked over to her, apologized for my intrusion, and asked her my question. She agreed with me, and said that the larger size would be better. i thanked her, and she then replied with "it's so funny you would ask me about that garment" i asked why, and she said "because i worked for Lara Kazan (the designer) for several years" I was completely in shock. My jaw dropped to the floor. She asked me what i was using it for, and i told her i was costuming a musical called "Little Shop of Horrors". She looked at me and just smiled and said you havee no idea how Audrey that sweater is. And i laughed and told her i did, and that i knew it was perfect the moment i saw it. She laughed and then told me that they had pictures of Ellen Green from the movie on their inspiration wall for the line the sweater had came from. Now for me, that was like this huge sign that I am doing everything right, I am where i need to be, doing what i need to be doing. It seriously made my whole day, and ever since then everything has been clicking, and it doesn't look as scary as it did a couple days before.

Holla Back

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I Told you everything would go ok!

-Topher