Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Before I start this, I just want to say that i cant stand it when people get upset because certain aspects of book are altered on the very long journey from page to screen (or stage for that matter) it is a very complex process on deciding what stays and what gets left behind when creating a film that is based on a book. Every possible thing is looked at. It is also a huge undertaking to create the look of a film or play from a source that is loved by millions of people. I have the utmost respect for Actors, Directors, and Designers who take on that kind of undertaking. I can't stand it when people look at monthes of work and decided that because certain changes were made for the sake of an entire project that the film was bad, or it was a horrible film/play. As an actor i go out of my way to make a roll my own, thats what makes it special. That's why i was cast, because i had something in me that i could bring to a charachter that no one else could. i'm never going to be able to do it just like another actor. As a designer i go out of my way to make a show look different from the original work, thats why i was hired, to create a new world, a new creation from an original source, i reference the source, as well as many other aspects but first and fore most i create something new. That's our job. With that said, i will now step of my soap box.



an advertisement for the film


Imelda Staunton as Dolores Umbridge


Daniel Radcliff and Evanna Lynch in one of my favorite parts of the film


Helena Bonham Carter kinda rocks my world... i'm not gonna lie

I loved Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. I personally feel this is the best film in the series so far ( replacing a mantel that was held by the third film). To me, they blended the right amount of references to the book, continuity of the first four films, and taking it to the next level. It met and exceeded all my expectations. One thing that had worried me was that using so many kids in this film, the acting wouldn't be as strong, but all of the kids were amazing. Daniel Radcliff, was superb in this film. I think being in Equus really helped him to grow as an actor. i also loved newcomer Evanna Lynch (Luna Lovegood) she had the most amazing quality about her, i always watched her when she was on the screen. I also enjoyed Helena Bonham Carter, and am eagerly awaiting to see what she does in the next film. One of the aspects of the film that i loved that i didn't knotice in the book, was how much of a biggot Dolores Umbridge was. Her charachter was truely evil, and hatefull, with out doing anything that was really criminal, she was just cruel. She totally abused her power to shape the world the way she wanted. I could be wronge, and i need to reread the book, but I don't remember that aspect being as strong in the book. Visually, as always, the film was fantastic. The end sequences blew me away (the film is playing in the imax 3D, you know that is the shit. I'm so going to see it in imax too!) Over all i seriously loved this film. the only thing it lacked for me was Maggie Smith, but She will be in the next one, and I know she won't let me down.

No comments: