Friday, July 6, 2007

You have to believe we are magic!


So for those of you who grew up in th 80's, you too know of the joys that are Xanadu. Xanadu was a movie musical starring Olivia Newton John. The plot is simple, a greek muse comes out of a wall mural to inspire a young artist in Santa Monica to create a roller disco. now I know, as amazing and inspiring as the plot is, you wonder what went wrong. Needless to say it was a flop. It was also a flop that as a seven year old, I watched so many times I melted the tape and my mom had to pay blockbuster like 10 dollars. What can I say, I love Olivia, and roller skating.

Now Xanadu, the roller skating disco musical of my childhood has been made into a broadway musical. now some of you might doubt it's credibility, but trust me, it is truely amazing. Xanadu the broadway musical boasts an entirely revamped and rewritten script, and includes all the hits we know and love from the film. from the moment the Greek muses rise up from the floor while signing ELO's "I'm Alive" till the fantastical roller blading choreographed orgasm of a finale with the entire cast covered in black gold and silver lame' that is the title number "Xanadu", the show is fantastic. it never takes itself to seriously, it is an entertaining romp that lets us in on all the jokes. the cast is fantastic, and for me the part that makes them really awesome is that they are just having so much fun. The show also boasts a new trend in theatre, which is onstage seating. Now some people are not keen on onstage seating, but I love it. For me it is the only way to go. I have already seen it twice, and both times i sat onstage.I think that onstage seating is completely the way to go for this kind of show. I was so engaged the entire time, I felt like I was on a ride at disneyland, but the musical was better, and there are no scary drops. I loved Xanadu, and plan on making it my summer show. I am going to see it as often as I can, and expose it to as many doubter of it's wonders as I can.

No comments: