Sunday, July 29, 2007

Good Morning Baltimore!


So i didn't need anymore reasons to love Zac Efron. I mean honestly he sings, he dances, and he's gorgeous to boot. But that little wink he does throught "Hairspray" sends my heart a flutter. Hairspray was a truely delightfull film, from the first few notes from the opening song, till the end of the credits, i had a huge grin on my face as i tapped along in my chair. So many of the perfromances were notably good. For starters I would like to thank Amanda Bynes for not ruining my favorite charachter. She was absoloutly shockingly cute, I didn't want to punch her in the face once. I would also like to thank Allison Janney for delivering many of my favorite lines most notably "you'll live on salteens and tang... Devil Child! Devil Child!" thank you for being so fantastic. I have decided that it needs to be a law and Queen Latifah needs to have a part in every musical, She thrilled us in Chicago, and she is feirce in this. If only phantom of the opera had had her, maybe it wouldn't have sucked so much (i'm pretty sure it would have, but the Queen Latifah parts would be amazing!). She brings so much sass to the film, i just love her. Nicky Blonsky was adorable, and the fact that they found her in a coldstone's just makes her even more appealing. I will admit that while i was scared for John Travolta's much publicized turn as Edna Turnblad, he wasn't completely unwatchable (i have, for the moment, taken the hit off him). Allthough i did miss Mamma I'm a Big Girl Now, i thought the score was awesome, and the added songs (New Girl in Town, Ladies Choice, and Come So Far[got s far to go]) were great. I seriously was dancing in my chair. My favorite number was definatly "I can Hear the Bells" which is conviniently also my favorite in the show. The sequences they chose were great, because they were things you couldn't do on stage, which i loved! I loved the fact that they chose to stage things and set things much differently then in the stage production, because they didn't have the same constraints as you do on stage. They took full advantage of that. I grew up with the original film watching it religiously on the UPN movie of the weekend, and the musical was a huge part of my high school world, and this new movie is a fantastic addition. It is one more way i can enjoy the story of Tracy Turnblad. I urge you to see it in theatres, please support movie musicals being made

No comments: